I was wrong. This is not the last week of Sol to Seed Farm’s 2013 CSA season. My CSA related postings will end next week. Here’s what I picked up today:
- Winter Squash (Buttercup (kabocha) and Butternut)
- Bosc Pears
- Red Cabbage
- Tomatoes (yes, tomatoes in October!)
- …and a free loaf of Multigrain Wheat Bread from Grand Central Baking Co.
I like this recipe for braised cabbage with cider. It’s based on Alton Brown’s recipe that I found online a few weeks ago. I barely tasted the caraway seeds so I suppose they can be an optional ingredient if you can’t find them. I added about a 1/4 of an onion in with the apples during the saute plus a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to the braising liquid. This is a great side dish to pork chops or sausages.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored, and cubed (Granny Smith or any tart baking apple)
- 1 pint unfiltered apple juice
- 1/4 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/4-teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 head of red cabbage, shredded